Sunday, August 13, 2017

June 15

Today was the last day in Berlin for many of us. It started by slowly waking up and packing (last minute packing on my end). We then slowly dragged our bags down to the lobby to check out and grab a little breakfast. Ally, my lovely community partner buddy and friend, and thankfully gotten coffee for the both of us and handed it to me as I finished the checkout process.after the key was returned, and my bags were placed in luggage storage until it was my time to leave, we sat on the familiar lobby couches and waited for more of our crew to descend. Plans were light for the day, some were heading out to do a bit more exploring, others planning a last lunch with the rest of the group, I was part of the latter group. We decided on going to one of our favorite Indian places one street up from the hostel. We all had a few more euro than we would like to be left with, so we treated ourselves to some extra food and enjoyed our (well some of our) last meal Berlin. Over plenty of curry, rice, and naan, we discussed the trip, our future plans, and speculated on what the rest of the group was up to. Some of us were spending a few more days in Berlin, some were off to other countries like Spain, Ireland, Amsterdam, and me to Lebanon, and some were headed home. It was a bittersweet moment. We had gotten used to seeing each other every day and spending most of our time with each other. I think for everyone there was a part of them that was going to miss this. 
After our extravagant and very delicious lunch, we headed back to the hostel for a few precious moments of wifi and relaxation. Soon, it was time for me to be off. I said my final goodbyes to the hostel and to my wonderful Berlin travel mates, got in a taxi, and drove to the airport. On the drive there I had the time to think and reflect on the past month we had spent in this wonderful city. I think for all of us, this was an experience we won't easily forget. We forged a lot of memories in these streets. We made friends, created inside jokes, learned a lot, were forced out of our comfort zones, and had so much fun. Berlin has given all of us so much to be grateful for and so much to look back on. I know many of us plan on returning as soon as we can (hopefully with a few more German language skills in tow).

No comments:

Post a Comment